A survey from our friends The Broke and the Bookish
1. Best Book You Read In 2012?
I can not choose just one, so here are the “top three” I read this year:
Nothing Like You – Lauren Strasnick
The Evolution of Mara Dyer – Michelle Hodkin
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Glimpse by Claire Merle – It was something I found on my own, not from any other bloggers, so maybe that should’ve been a sign. I was so excited to read a dystopian focusing on people with mental illness, but I really just hated it.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Painted Blind by Michelle A. Hansen – I was really not expecting much from this book, but as I read I started liking it more and more.
I was also surprised by Paradise by Joanna Nadin, another book I didn’t have high expectations for
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
The Mara Dyer series, probably. Up until recently, I didn’t talk about books with friends; I just blogged about them.
(both are going to be trilogies)
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Rainbow Rowell – Eleanor & Park
Bethany Griffin – Masque of the Red Death
Cat Patrick – Forgotten
Lauren Bjorkman- Miss Fortune Cookie
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Bethany Griffin – Masque of the Red Death – I’d read a couple other books within the steampunk genre and not really cared for them, but this was book was so well written and lusciously imagined that I couldn’t help but love it. I’m glad I went out on a limb and bought it when it was on sale on Amazon.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Michelle Hodkin – The Evolution of Mara Dyer – By far the most thrilling book of the year. With a twist on practically every page coupled with breathtaking romance, this book had me hooked the whole time.
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
I don’t really re-read books that often, but maybe Burn for Burn if I forget what happened when Fire for Fire comes out.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
Speechless by Hannah Harrington, hands down. I mean look at it. It’s just so cool!
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
I have a few that stick out:
Holly from Nothing Like You – I just felt so connected to this character and really felt for her
Psyche from Painted Blind – Finally, a heroine in a love story that doesn’t go all loopy and pathetic when she falls in love
Nash from Lullaby – At least I’m pretty sure his name was Nash. A guy who uses the culling song to have sex with dead chicks is pretty memorable.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Even though I really didn’t like it, Rape Girl really did make me think. I wouldn’t say I learned anything more about rape and the law, necessarily, but it made me really angry and I still think about it a lot. It wasn’t the best-written book, but it was a powerful story that will resonate with many women. Looking back at my (very negative) review, I think I was more feeling anger at Valerie’s predicament rather than actual dislike of the book. So, my apologies, Alina Klein.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin – But I only waited because I had to…
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
Probably this scene from Mara Dyer:
“Noah,” I said cautiously. “What did you do to that poor whale?”
“She’s fine,” he said. “I only pushed someone into her tank.”
“A little bit, yes.”
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
I spent almost the entire car ride from Towson to Jessup ranting about a scene in The Demon Catchers of Milan when Mia goes out with Lucifero. I mean, come on, the guy’s name is Lucifero; you know that shit’s not going to work out, girlfriend.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Luke and London from Forgotten by Cat Patrick – I mean, oh my god, did you read their first date scene?!?!?!?!?!?!
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green – this was in heavy competition with Mara Dyer, but I’ve written about it for so many other questions and I really did love this book, too
20. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
Divergent by Veronica Roth! I can’t believe I haven’t made the time for this book yet considering all the hype it’s getting, plus the movie, but I know I’ve really got to read it.
21. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
Requiem by Lauren Oliver – I’m sad the Delirium saga will be ending, but I’m also super psyched to see how it turns out! And Pandemonium ended on such a cliff-hanger, too…
Just One Day by Gayle Forman – it took me a while to get to If I Stay, but I thought it was absolutely beautiful and can’t wait for more Gayle Forman!
The Elite by Kiera Cass – Can’t wait for the sequel to The Selection! #TeamMaxen
Smoked by Ellen Hopkins – I hated the ending of Burned but really liked the book otherwise, so I’m excited to read the sequel
22. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Keep doing it! Also, host more blog tours and maybe get ARCs from bigger publishers!